Safeguarding the Children Virtus
Protecting God’s children
The Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People is a comprehensive set of procedures established by the USCCB in June 2002 for addressing allegations of sexual abuse of minors by Catholic clergy. The Charter also includes guidelines for reconciliation, healing, accountability, and prevention of future acts of abuse.
The Charter directs action in all the following matters:
- Creating a safe environment for children and young people;
- Healing and reconciliation of victims and survivors;
- Making prompt and effective response to allegations;
- Cooperating with civil authorities;
- Disciplining offenders;
- Providing for means of accountability for the future to ensure the problem continues to be effectively dealt with through the Secretariat of Child and Youth Protection and the National Review Board.
Click HERE for Virtus F.A.Q.s
CLICK HERE for a detailed document that explains how to proceed with on-line Re-certification. Please note that this ends on September 30th.
This option is only for those who took the class in 2016.
Virtus sessions will be offered via Zoom at the following times:
Wednesday, August 19: 6:00 — 9:00 p.m. (CLASS IS FULL)
More classes will be added soon.
Watch this space for announcements.
Space is limited, so register ahead of time.
To register for a Virtus Zoom class, email Lisa Feliciano at LFeliciano@stmel.org or call (818) 340-6020, ext. 1022.
Please email a copy of completed certificate to Lisa Feliciano so we may update our records.