Safeguarding the Children Virtus
Protecting God’s children
The Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People is a comprehensive set of procedures established by the USCCB in June 2002 for addressing allegations of sexual abuse of minors by Catholic clergy. The Charter also includes guidelines for reconciliation, healing, accountability, and prevention of future acts of abuse.
The Charter directs action in all the following matters:
- Creating a safe environment for children and young people;
- Healing and reconciliation of victims and survivors;
- Making prompt and effective response to allegations;
- Cooperating with civil authorities;
- Disciplining offenders;
- Providing for means of accountability for the future to ensure the problem continues to be effectively dealt with through the Secretariat of Child and Youth Protection and the National Review Board.
Click HERE for Virtus F.A.Q.s
Due to COVID, Virtus classes will only be offered online via Zoom both through the Archdiocese and St. Mel. To register for a Virtus Zoom class, contact Lisa Feliciano: LFeliciano@stmel.org (818) 340-6020, ext. 1022.
St. Mel will host a single in-person Protecting God’s Children Virtus Class on Monday, September 20 from 6:00 — 9:00 p.m. in the John Paul II Room (upstairs in the Parish Center.)
This class is for anyone who has never taken a Virtus class or if it has been more than four years since your last class. To register for the class, email Lisa Feliciano at LFeliciano@stmel.org with your full name and phone number.
Please note that this class is for ADULTS only. Please make offsite childcare arrangements ahead of time.
Space is limited, so register ahead of time.
Please email a copy of completed certificate to Lisa Feliciano so we may update our records.